Newspaper Articles


January 2015 - The Desert Sun
Dryer Starts Fire at Indian Ridge Country Club

An aggressive response by firefighters and an automatic sprinkler system helped minimize damage from a fire that broke out in the laundry area of a local country club, Riverside County fire officials said today.

Fire crews responded to a report of a commercial structure fire at 76300 block of Country Club Drive at 4:35 p.m. Sunday, according to firefighters. Damage was estimated at $5,000.

Arriving units reported smoke coming from the attic area of the two-story, 18,000-square-foot building. THe blaze was limited to a dryer in the clubhouse laundry room, and no injuries were reported.


December 2012 - The Desert Sun
Firefighters Contain Blaze Inside Chimney

Firefighters doused a fire in the chimney of a home in Palm Desert THursday, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

The fire was reported about 8 a.m. at a two-story house in the 100 block of Chalaka Place in the Bighorn development.

No one was hurt, and the fire was contained to the chimney. CalFire spokeswoman Melody Hendrickson said.


December 2012 - The Desert Sun
House Fire Started in Fireplace, Spread

Firefighters contained a house fire in Desert Hot Springs on Thursday night.

The fire was reported at 5:18 p.m. at Eighth Street and Sunset Avenue, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

The blaze started in a fireplace and spread into the attic.

Heavy smoke and flames could be seen coming from the chimney, according to CalFire.

Firefighters contained the fire at 5:32 p.m. There were no injuries.


December 2011 - La Quinta, CA
Chimney Fire Smokes Up Hotel

A chimney fire caused minor smoke damage to the main lobby of a La Quinta hotel Thursday afternoon, a county fire spokewoman said.

The non-injury blaze was reported shortly after 2 p.m. at the La Quinta Hotel, 49499 Eisenhower Drive, and was contained to the fireplace area of the lobb, Riverside County Fire Department spokeswoman Cheri Patterson said.

"There was some minor smoke damage," she said.


June 28, 2011 - The Desert Sun
Fire at Condo Complex Puts Five Families out of Homes

Five families were displaced early Monday morning after a fire crawled up a wall from an outdoor storage closet and charred the exterior of two unites in a Cathedral City condominium complex.

Several fire engines, including a ladder truck, reported to the scene around 1 a.m. at Candlewood Villas II at 32-505 Candlewood Drive. Smoke alarms from several units could be heard screeching as thick black smoke billowed from the building.

Cathedral City Fire Battalion Chief Robert Van Nortrick said the cause of the fire is "undetermined" at this time.

"We couldn't find anything specific that could have started it," he said Monday afternoon.

No estimates of damage are currently available, but insurance adjusters were expected on the scene through Wednesday to assess damage.

The blaze appeared to have started in an outside storage closet of a downstairs unit. A resident in a nearby condo noticed smoke coming from a dryer vent and grabbed a garden hose in an unsuccessful attempt to stop the flames and smoke before firefighters arrived. The fire then shot up through a cubby hole in an attic space in the roof.

Firefighters brought in axes and saws to cut through the tan stucco exterior walls of the building to contain the flames to a patio roof and wall. Holes were also cut in the roof of two units.

Six of the eight units in the building were affected by smoke and/or water damage. No injuries were reported.

Residents from other units in the complex stood around the perimeter of the burning building and offered support to their neighbors. The American Red Cross stepped in around 3 a.m. and offered condo dwellers in the affected building shelter for the night. One family accepted, while other residents were able to stay with family and friends.


December 23, 2009 - The Desert Sun

No injuries were reported in a structure fire that displaced a Palm Springs family Wednesday night.

The fire was reported about 7 p.m. at 395 Dominguez Road, according to Palm Springs firefighters.

THe blaza began in a fireplace and spread into the attic.

Firefighters determined the fireplace's damper was closed.

The blaze caused $100,000 in damage according to firefighters.

The family was placed into another home.


December 15, 2009 - The Desert Sun

A dryer vent lint fire caused $10,000 in damage to a garage at a home in Desert Hot Springs, a fire captain said Monday.

The blaze at 66-626 Cahuilla Ave. was reported about 11:40 p.m. Sunday, said Capt. Fernando Herrera of the Riverside County Fire Department.

Ten firefighters contained the flames to a garage within 10 minutes. THe fire was declared under control by 1:30 a.m., Herrera said.


July 14, 2007 - Press Enterprise

A fire in a clothes dryer caused about $30,000 in damage to a house on Brownie Way in Beaumont on Friday morning according to a Cal Fire Riverside County Fire Departmentnews release.

Initial investication indicated a lint buildup in the dryer may have started the laundry room fire.

A woman resident and dog escaped without injury Patterson said.